"ANOTHER TOP SCHOOL OFFICIAL ARRESTED AND GOES TO PRISON"
January 27, 2003
RECENT EVENTS SURROUNDING THE ROBERT SIGLER CASE
Wednesday, Jan. 8
Acting on a tip from the father of a 15-year-old boy, Middletown
police begin investigating allegations that Middletown schools Superintendent
Robert Sigler, 54, had a relationship with the boy.
In the course of its investigation, police search Sigler's home and office,
removing computers and a sofa. Among the products of the investigation are
audiotapes of conversations between Sigler and the boy.
Police find Sigler in his school district-owned car on North Street in
Middletown and take him in for questioning. He is arrested later that night,
just 11 hours into the investigation. He is taken to Orange County Jail. He is
later charged with second-degree sodomy, a felony, and endangering the welfare
of a child, a misdemeanor. His bail is set at $500,000.
Thursday, Jan. 10
Police and school district officials hold a joint news conference at
district headquarters that draws a crowd of New York City newspapers and
television channels. Police announce their charges and say they have a strong
case. They say Sigler met the alleged victim through his job.
District officials announce that Sigler, on the job for seven years, is
suspended, though the question of whether or not he will continue to be paid
remains open. Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction Patricia
McLeod is named acting superintendent.
School board President Robin Markovits says the whole district is shocked by
the arrest, but promises to rebuild the public trust.
Monday, Jan. 13
Sigler appears in court for a preliminary hearing on the sexual abuse
charges.
The school board issues a State of the District message that alludes to tough
times, but makes no further mention of Sigler or the circumstances surrounding
his involvement with the child he is accused of molesting. School officials say
they are legally limited in what they can say about Sigler.
Tuesday, Jan. 14
Sigler is indicted by an Orange County grand jury.
Sigler retains prominent Poughkeepsie attorney William Tendy.
Acting Superintendent Pat McLeod issues a memo to administrators directing
them to limit their comments to a scripted response if reporters question them
about whether concerns had been raised about Sigler's relationship with the boy
before his arrest.
A source close to the school board tells the Times Herald-Record that the
board was made aware of concerns about Sigler's relationship with the alleged
victim several months ago. School board members decline comment on the matter.
Police say they plan to question school board members about who knew what
when.
The school district officially notifies the state Department of Education
that it needs to investigate Sigler for improper moral conduct.
Wednesday, Jan. 15
After a news conference called to counter press reports that the
district wasn't being up front about what it knew about Sigler's relationship
with the alleged victim, Acting Superintendent Pat McLeod says she had heard
rumors about some type of relationship between Sigler and the alleged victim,
but says it was not her place to look into them.
Manhattan attorney Stephen Segall confirms that he is representing the
alleged victim.
Thursday, Jan. 16
The school board acknowledges that it heard complaints about
"educational interference" by Sigler in regard to a student and ordered that it
stop.
A source close to the board confirms that Sigler signed the alleged victim
out of school numerous times and interfered in disciplinary actions against him.
The county grand jury's indictment is unsealed: one charge of sodomy, a
felony; one count of endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor; three
misdemeanor counts of sexual abuse.
Middletown police say that Sigler made admissions during a prearrest
interview about his relationship with the boy. The police confirm they have both
written and verbal admissions from Sigler, as well as taped conversations
between him and the boy.
Police further say they have evidence that Sigler lavished the boy with
gifts, including jewelry and clothing, and treated him to dinners.
Friday, Jan. 17
Segall says that the relationship between Sigler and his client began
while his client was a middle school student.
Tuesday, Jan. 21
Sigler is arraigned in Orange County Court in Goshen. His lawyers enter a not
guilty plea. Sigler's bail is reduced to $25,000. Judge Stewart Rosenwasser
orders Sigler to stay away from the teen he's accused of abusing. Sigler signs
the order of protection, which will be in effect until June.
Middletown police reveal they've begun interviewing school board members.
Board member Paul Johnson calls his interview with police "a long day."
Thursday, Jan. 23
About 75 people crowd into Middletown School District offices to take
part in the first public forum called by district officials since Sigler's
arrest. About 20 residents address the board, some offering support while the
rest demand answers and action. Parent John Gennarelli announces he's starting a
petition asking for board members and Acting Superintendent Pat McLeod to
resign.
Friday, Jan. 24
Records show that the board last year gave Sigler a contract extension
and a raise just a few months after it disciplined him for the "educational
interference" with the boy.
Your participation, suggestions and opinions on all matters will be welcomed, and only by your request, will your correspondence be published on this web site anonymously.
Please contact the Justice Team with any information regarding any matter, by CLICKING HERE or E-Mail address: Administrator@DutchessCountyJusticeTeam2003.us or telephone (845) 454-3036. (All information will be kept confidential and your protection is guaranteed)