"NYC FIREFIGHTER COMMITS DISGRACEFUL CRIMES"
"BADGE OF DISHONOR"
February 24, 2004
Pine Bush man took World Trade Center 'souvenirs,' prosecutors say
By Jessica Gardner
Times Herald-Record
jgardner@th-record.com
New York – A Manhattan jury will decide the fate of a Pine Bush man accused
of stealing personal affects – including charred identification cards – from the
World Trade Center site while taking part in clean-up efforts.
Samuel Brandon,
a retired New York City firefighter, faces 11 misdemeanor counts of petty
larceny in connection with items police found in his Pine Bush home in June
2002.
Those items
included two pieces of glass, a smashed police or fire department radio, a
quarter, a photo of a couple at their wedding reception and six employee ID
cards, some belonging to people listed as missing after the Sept. 11, 2001,
terrorist attacks.
Police
confiscated a gold-framed picture displayed in Brandon's living room. In the
photo, Brandon, 61, is holding up a large human hip bone he recovered while
working as a volunteer at the south tower. No charges have been filed in
relation to the photograph.
"Most of the IDs
are melted or burned or charred; I don't know why anybody would want a charred
ID card," Brandon's lawyer, Ronald Kliegerman, of Manhattan, said. "And nobody
even knows who's in the wedding reception photo. The things he took were
valueless."
Brandon was a
member of FDNY for 14 years and had been retired for more than a decade at the
time of the terrorists attacks that brought down the Trade Center towers. He was
a volunteer at the site, helping to recover the remains of victims.
Authorities
learned of the items after a potential home buyer toured Brandon's house. During
the tour, Brandon mentioned that he had some personal affects he'd acquired from
the World Trade Center site.
The potential
home buyer went to state police with the information. Shortly afterward, two
undercover investigators posing as a couple searching for a new home went to
Brandon's Route 52 home, where he showed them the glass and the broken radio. An
official search soon followed.
According to
Kliegerman, prosecutors will have to prove Brandon didn't have permission from
the rightful owner to have the items found in his home.
"I don't see any
owners testifying at this trial," Kliegerman said. "Nothing was taken with the
view of depriving the family of anything."
Brandon, who
still lives in the same Pine Bush home, did not return calls for comment.
Three of the six
jurors required in a misdemeanor case were selected yesterday, according to New
York County district attorney's office spokeswoman Sherry Hunter. Selection
continues today.
Brandon was also
charged in Ulster County with possession of stolen property, a misdemeanor, in
connection with the same material from Ground Zero. That case is still pending.
The criminal complaint alleges that Brandon admitted to collecting other "souvenirs" from Ground Zero that he had already given away to family members as gifts.
Your participation, suggestions and opinions on all matters will be welcomed, and only by your request, will your correspondence be published on this web site anonymously.
Please contact the Justice Team with any information regarding any matter, by CLICKING HERE or E-Mail address: Administrator@DutchessCountyJusticeTeam2003.us or telephone (845) 454-3036. (All information will be kept confidential and your protection is guaranteed)